How to Stay Organised During a Move
Moving to a new home can be a daunting experience. Your emotions are likely to be confused; you may be going to miss some of the aspects of your old home, but be excited at the prospect of starting a whole new chapter in your life. The problem is that these emotions can start to interfere with the process of moving if you let them. This is why it’s so important to have plans and processes in place that help you to remain organised when moving home.
Record Everyting in a Notebook
You would be surprised at how much information you may need while you are moving. Here are few examples of the details you may need to have to hand.
- Contact details for the removal company
- Details of energy providers so that you can have the supply switched off in your old home and on in your new home, if necessary
- Information about diverting your mail after you move
- Important dates such as contract signing and the actual move
- Contact details for estate agents and solicitors
- Records of what you need to pack and when
This is just some of the information that you need to have easy access to, if you want to remain organised throughout the move. The easiest way to keep all of this information in one place is to set up a notebook for the move. You can keep a directory of useful numbers, use a calendar to keep a record of dates, list items that you need to purchase and keep records of the progress of tasks such as packing.
Your notes need to be easy to carry with you, so you should use a hard copy notebook or a file that you have created on your tablet.
Get Rid of Everything That You Don’t Need
Over time, most people collect some items that they are never going to use. There is something comforting about holding on to “cute” holiday keepsakes or those clothes that you aim to be able to fit back into “at some point”. These items usually spend most of their time buried away in cupboards, or in the loft. You should not waste space at your new home by keeping hold of them. The process of decluttering before you move home is a simple one, but you need to be ruthless.
- Walk around your home and make a list of everything that can go
- Prepare boxes marked sell, donate, recycle and rubbish and sort the items into these boxes. For larger items, write labels so that you know what you intend to do with them
- List items for sale on sites such as eBay and Gumtree
- Donate items to charities such as the British Red Cross. If you have larger items, they may be able to collect them from you
- Speak to your local council about having recycling and rubbish collected. If they do not offer this service, you may be able to get a friend or relative to help you
Start Packing Early
Packing can be a tedious task at the best of times, so people tend to try and put it off. Leaving packing to the last minute only adds to the stress of moving. Start packing as soon as you can; starting with items that you will not need directly before you move, such as out of season clothes or additional TVs that you have around the house.
Labels are Your Best Friend
No matter how good you think your memory is, there is very little chance that you will remember what is in each box unless you use labels. Make sure that the labels are clearly written and include all contents. You should also think about using different coloured labels for different rooms of the house. This means that each box can be taken to exactly the right place, as soon as you arrive in your new home.
Leave Essential Items to Pack Last
There are some items which you will need to use right up until the day that you move, such as toiletries, a change of clothes, kettles and toasters. You should leave these items to pack last. It often helps to pack these items in suitcases and take them with you, or place them in the removal van last. Doing so means they are easy to get to when you arrive at your new property.
Staying organised while you move is not complicated, it simply means that you need to plan ahead, use labels and records and, most importantly, allow yourself as much time as possible to pack and complete the move.
If you’d like a free, no obligations, removals quote please fill in this form. Our experienced team would LOVE to help you move and will provide a bespoke removals plan to ensure you stay organised!